Older Dogs and Joint Pain
Joint pain affects all dogs as they age.
And, watching your dog age is a bittersweet process.
One day you’re house training Fido, and the next he’s starting to look a little grey around the snout.
Older pups are excellent pets.
They are typically lower energy than younger dogs and are often more well-behaved.
However, older pups develop health problems.
For example, aging dogs often experience wear and tear on their joints.
How can you tell if your pup’s joints are aging?
Fido may be slower to rise in the morning, have trouble jumping up on the couch, or move a little slower in general.
It can be painful to watch your best friend experience the downsides of aging.
What can you do to help?
A growing number of veterinarians recommend herbal supplements to combat aging pet joints.
But, there are so many supplements from which to choose.
How do you know which herbs are right to alleviate dog joint pain?
We’ve outlined the top three herbs to alleviate dog joint pain below.
Green Lipped Mussel
Green lipped mussel is a bit of a superfood.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin
- Omega-3 fatty acids
- Amino acids
- Vitamins and Minerals
The green-lipped mussel is a mollusk typically from New Zealand.
But why is green-lipped mussel beneficial to alleviate dog joint pain?
Why Should I Give My Dog Green Lipped Mussel?
The green-lipped mussel has a high concentration of mucopolysaccharides.
Mucopolysaccharides have shown anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory effects in some studies.
Mucopolysaccharides may benefit synovial fluid, which is crucial in aging joints.
In a study by The American Society for Nutritional Sciences, green-lipped mussel showed benefits to alleviate dog joint pain.
The Omega-3s, glucosamine, and chondroitin in green-lipped mussel reduce inflammation, maintain joint cell structure and function, facilitate cartilage repair, and protect against oxidation.
You may have heard of glucosamine before.
If you suffer from joint pain, you may even take glucosamine yourself!
Glucosamine isn’t just for humans.
The popular substance benefits ailing pets too!
Their joints and our joints function in similar ways.
How Does Glucosamine Work for Dogs?
First, what kind of Glucosamine should I give my dog?
Make sure you are giving your pet a supplement made for dogs.
Many pet supplements combine glucosamine with other beneficial substances such as MSM and green-lipped mussel.
Although injectable glucosamine is available from your veterinarian, a daily oral supplement is more commonly recommended.
A daily tasty treat is more likely to entice your pup than bi-weekly injections.
MSM, short for methylsulfonylmethane, is a non-toxic, odorless chemical.
In nature, MSM exists in animals, plants, and humans.
In the body, MSM helps the body efficiently use vitamins and nutrients.
Supplementing MSM is beneficial for amino acids in the skin. MSM decreases pressure inside cells, allowing water and nutrients to flow better inside cells. This process more effectively nourishes the body and improves skin elasticity.
Which Supplement Combines All Three Beneficial Herbs?
PET | TAO’s Harmonize Joint Supplement combines each of the herbs listed above, along with several others, to provide your pup with the purest form of relief.
Instead of giving your dog one beneficial herb, Harmonize Joint contains:
- Green-lipped mussel
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Each ingredient is more beneficial when combined with other herbs and compounds.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Arthritis and Dog Joint Pain Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort Supplement is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint Supplement is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are: